The Student News Site of Winslow Township High School

The Aquila

Breaking News
  • January 24Complete your Spring Sports form on Genesis and stay ahead of the game! Can't wait to see you out there Winslow!
  • January 24Check @wths.25 for more info on their ongoing February fundraiser!
  • January 248th Grade Expo will be held on Thursday, Jan 25th 2024.
  • December 21Varsity Boys Basketball Will Play Shawnee (Away) @ 6:15 p.m
  • October 16Site Is Actively Changing! Send Suggestions in to M109

The Aquila

The Aquila

Polls

Where do you see yourself after school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Elyse Murray, October Athlete of the Month

Morgan Burphy interviews October’s Athlete of the Month Elyse Murray! A passionate, dynamic team-player who worked her way out of the Covid outbreak, taking her talents to the field, whats next from there?

What sport do you play? (Varsity ? Captain?) 

I was captain of the girls varsity high school soccer team my junior and senior year as well as for my travel soccer team!

How long? (How would you say you improved since you started) 

I have been playing the game of soccer for around 13 years and with extensive training and motivation towards getting better I can definitely say I have improved my skills throughout the years.

What is your favorite part about this sport? 

My favorite part about this sport is its inclusion of teamwork and that it creates friendships that last on and off the field. 

What is your technique for memorizing plays and or moves ? 

To memorize plays and moves I apply them to practice and repeatedly use them throughout drills so that come game time it will come naturally under any circumstances. 

How will you develop your performance moving forward ?

Developing my performance moving forward can be done by practicing extensively, reevaluating past performances, and maintaining initiative towards learning new skills.

Where do you see this going? (Play for a College?or just a fun extracurricular activity)

I plan to keep my love for soccer alive as a fun extracurricular while I am still debating if I plan to play for Camden County Community College!! 

Do you play (thesport) outside of school? 

I do play the sport outside of school! I play for Monroe United!

How do you feel to be (the month) Athlete of the Month? 

Being the October athlete of the month truly makes me feel seen and that all my hard work put into the game or while at practice hasn’t gone unnoticed.

Did you have any injuries or any issues or obstacles that you had to overcome to compete?

Luckily, I have never faced any serious injuries throughout my soccer career besides some minor sprains along the way;however, one issue I have had to overcome when competing is getting in my head or overthinking the game. To overcome this, I take deep breaths then focus on working with my teammates while applying the skills that I know best.

Where did your passion for this sport come from? 

My passion for the sport all stems from the convincing of my grandfather to join a soccer team at the age of 5! His ongoing support and positive outlook on the game led me to an everlasting love for the sport of soccer.